GitHub Classroom offers a suite of features such as assignment templates, auto-grading, feedback pull requests, and group assignments. With the GitHub Classroom integration in your Canvas course site, you can craft assignments with ease, automate grading, and enhance collaboration in your classroom. Re-using assignments from term-to-term is simplified, as is roster syncing between systems, to cut down on administrative barriers when getting your course site set up.
Activating GitHub for your course
- Login to Canvas, and open the course site for the course where you want to link GitHub.
- On the course menu, scroll down to the bottom of the list and click Settings.
- On the Settings page, click the GitHub Classroom button on the menu.
- Click the link to "Choose a classroom to link."
- Select the option to create a New Classroom.
- If you have been added to the Johns Hopkins Engineering organization, you will see it as an option and be able to select it in order to create the classroom within it. If you do not see this organization, you can email CLDTsupport@jh.edu to request access before continuing with these instructions. It is preferred, but not required, that GitHub Classroom sites exist within our Johns Hopkins Engineering organization.
If you are not part of the Johns Hopkins Engineering organization and do not wish to join and connect your classroom there, you are able to continue with the option to Create an Organization within the JHU Enterprise account. If you choose to proceed with this option, please make sure to answer "Johns Hopkins University" when asked which business or institution the organization should belong to. The link to our enterprise account is https://github.com/enterprises/johns-hopkins-university, if needed for this request. If you create a GitHub Classroom, it must belong to an organization within the Johns Hopkins University enterprise account.
Once your site is connected, you should be provided with a link to share with students for them to enroll and gain access. If you experience any difficulties in getting your site setup and connected, please contact CLDTSupport@jh.edu.