Video materials in courses at the Whiting School's Engineering for Professionals program need to be uploaded to Kaltura, EP's video management platform, which is integrated with Blackboard as well as Zoom (Meetings recorded to the cloud in Zoom with a WSE Zoom account can be automatically uploaded to Kaltura, see this article for information on this integration). The benefits to uploading this way include better playability on mobile devices and improved streaming for students with weaker internet connections, as well as easier captioning, editing, and video player controls.
Adding a Video Directly to a Content Area
The simplest way to upload a video to Blackboard is to use the Kaltura Mashup link the Rich Text Editor.
- Open the Add Content menu in the Rich Text Editor by clicking the circle with a + icon inside.
- Select Kaltura Media from the list, under the Additional Tools section.
- This will open the Kaltura Media interface within the page, it may take a moment to load. After it has loaded, click Add New and then Media Upload.
- Chose the video file you want to upload by clicking Choose a file to upload and selecting the file from the system file browser.
- While the video uploads, fill in the fields for title, description, and tags as needed
- Once the video has finished uploading, the progress bar will turn green and say "Upload Completed!" after which you will click the Gear Icon (Do not press Save and Embed, which will embed the video at a smaller size)
- Press Embed to add the video to the content area
Note: If you see 'Error No source video was found - Entry in progress' do not worry, the video is processing and will appear as expected later
- The rich text editor box will now show the video in context, press submit to post the video.
Adding a Video to the Course Media Gallery
To add a video to your course Media Gallery, follow these steps:
- Go to the "Media" tab and click "Add Media"
- Click 'Add New' and then 'Media Upload'
- Upload your video file
- Once the upload completes (this may take some time with large files) enter the appropriate title and metadata (tags, description), click 'Save' and then click 'Go To Media Gallery'