Media Analytics Within Blackboard – Overview
Kaltura, the content management system used for your course media, has the ability to display information about how students are interacting with your course, called Analytics. This information can be helpful in determining which videos students find the most useful and engaging, and which may require revision.
There are two ways to access analytics for your media in Blackboard: You can view analytics for individual videos from the My Media module from the Blackboard My Institution page, and you can view analytics for the videos in a specific course from the Media Gallery tool in the Course Management panel within your course.
- Accessing Course Media Analytics
- Using Course Media Analytics
- Accessing Individual Video Analytics Through My Media
Accessing Course Media Analytics
To access analytics for all Kaltura videos in a course, you will use the Media Gallery Course Tool, which can be accessed by following these steps:
- Click on the Course Tools link within the Course Management panel in your Blackboard course
- Click on the Media Gallery link, which will open the Kaltura Media Gallery for your course
- Click on the Actions button then click the Analytics button
Using Course Media Analytics
You will now see the Analytics for the course, which is divided into four sections: Dashboard, Media, Engagement, and Contribution. Below are screenshots of each and a brief explanation of the data shown.
- Dashboard: A general overview of the media and engagement in your course which displays the number of items in the course, number of views and plays, the most popular media by play-count, and an overview of which users are engaging most with the media.
- Media: In-depth statistics for each media object (usually videos) in the course, to access detailed information on individual videos click the + icon next to their name.
- Engagement: In-depth statistics for each user in the course, to access detailed information on individual views for a user click the + icon next to their name.
- Contribution: Information about which users are contributing which types of media to the course.
Accessing Individual Video Analytics Through My Media
You can also access the analytics for individual videos outside the course context by using the My Media module on your Blackboard homepage. To access the analytics page for a video follow these steps:
- From the Blackboard homepage click the My Media module.
Note: If you do not see the My Media module you will need to add it to your page, information how to do so can be found in the article Kaltura’s My Media and Media Gallery.
- Find the video you wish to analyze and click the video title.
- Click the Actions button and then click the Analytics option to open the analytics page for that video.