Note: For support with logging in to Teams, adding Apps, or general questions about Teams at Johns Hopkins, please contact the IT Help Desk at 410 955-HELP (410-955-4357) or by submitting a request through the IT Help app in http://my.jhu.edu/
Microsoft Teams Overview
Microsoft Teams is a collaboration tool that is part of the Office 365 suite of services provided by JHU. Teams enables local and remote students, faculty, and staff to chat and work together in real and near-real time. It is fully integrated with Office 365 as well as native Microsoft Office applications.
With Teams, you get instant access to everything needed for collaboration including content, tools, people, conversations, and built-in access to OneNote, OneDrive, and Microsoft Office apps.
- Signing In To Microsoft Teams
- Viewing Teams
- Creating and Joining Teams
- More Information About Using Teams At Hopkins
Signing In To Microsoft Teams
- Download and Install Microsoft Teams to your computer or phone
Click 'Sign in' (not sign up) on the the Teams website
- Sign in with with your JHED credentials.
Note: You must enter your email@example.com and not @jhu.edu in the email field. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not click 'Create one!' as this will create a new account unaffiliated with JHU.
- Sign in to Microsoft Teams using the above instructions
- Click on the Teams icon and text on the left side of the desktop app or on the bottom of the mobile app
Creating and Joining Teams
To request a Team for a course, submit a Help Desk ticket and provide the full course ID, including the section number. It can take up to 24 hours for the Team to be created and appear in your Team view. Students will be added from the enrollment data in SIS and the instructor(s) listed in SIS will automatically be added to the Team as the Owner(s).
Note: Manual Team creation is for ad-hoc usage only. If you are an instructor looking to create a Team for an EP class section, do not manually create a team. Instead, please send a request to the CLDT Help desk to have a Team created. For instructors on how to create one Team for merged sections see Using Microsoft Teams in Merged Sections.
For guidance on how to set up a Team for a course, please see Setting Up Microsoft Teams.
After logging in to Teams, you can join or create a new team using these instructions:
a. Tap on the vertical ellipsis at the top right of the screen
b. Select "Create new team" to create a team or "Join a team with a code" to join an existing team
Note: You can also browse teams that are public to the JHU community
a. Click "Join or create a team" in the bottom left of the desktop app
b. Either create a new team or join an existing team using a Teams code that was shared with you
More Information About Using Teams At Hopkins
- For best practices when implementing Teams in WSE courses see Setting up Microsoft Teams
- Teams can be also be used for hosting Office Hours, learn how in the article Using Microsoft Teams for Office Hours
- Using Teams in a course with multiple sections? Check out Using Microsoft Teams in Merged Sections
- The IT@JH Teams Hub has helpful video guides for using Teams as well as training materials. Check out the IT@JH Teams FAQ