This guide will go over how to setup an exam that isn't using the Test feature in Blackboard, but still have it timed and available over a set number of days.
Instructions for Creating Timed Assignment Submissions
Provide clear instructions to your students in the Course Module, but also via an Announcement, Email, or during Office Hours.
EXAMPLE: The exam will be timed, but available on Blackboard for you to download over a number of days. You will have six hours to download, complete and upload your exam to Blackboard. You should submit the exam as a single PDF file.
The timer will be setup as an Assignment in Blackboard. The name for the "Assignment" should be Midterm Exam Access or Final Exam Access, depending on which one you are setting up.
EXAMPLE: The exam will be timed, but available on Blackboard for you to download over a number of days. You will have 6 hours to download, complete and upload your exam to Blackboard.When you are ready to begin the exam. Please click on the "Midterm Exam Access" Access link above and type the word "Access" into the submission text comments box and submit. This will mark your start time. After submitting your request to access, the exam file will be available to download below. You may need to refresh your browser to see the PDF for the exam.
- Submission Details and Display of Grade: This should be setup as a Single Attempt. Display of Grades for Primary should be set to Complete/Incomplete. Add display after and until dates and times. Points Possible should be set to 0.
- Next you will go to Build Content and under Create select File. From here you will add the PDF for the Exam.
- After you have added the PDF we will need to add an Adaptive Release. Under Date setup the display after and until dates and times. Under Grade find the Assignment Midterm or Final Exam Access grade column, then hit Submit.
- Last step is to add the Exam submission. This should be setup as an Assignment.
EXAMPLE: Please click on the link above to submit your completed exam. You should submit the exam as a single PDF file.
- Be sure to add a Due Date for this Submission and Points Possible.
- An Adaptive Release will also be added for the Exam Submission. It should be the same one that you added for the PDF file to release. Please follow the steps from step 5.
You will then be able to check when the timer started for each student from the Full Grade Center. Go to the Exam Access column. For each student that has submitted you will see a green check mark. Click on the drop down and go to View Grade Details, from there it will tell you the date and time of accessing the exam.
Repeat these steps for the Exam Submission to check whether they adhered to the time limit or not.