Please note: if your browser privacy settings are set for strict protection, you may receive an error when you go to access the Zoom LTI or start a meeting you have created. If this occurs, please adjust your browser settings to standard or custom protections.
The Zoom LTI integration with Canvas allows instructors to schedule and manage, and also start or join a meeting all from within Canvas. Students can also easily join and view upcoming meetings from within their course sites.
Table of Contents:
- Enabling Zoom LTI in a course
- Using Zoom as an Instructor
- Importing an Existing Meeting
- Scheduling an New Meeting
- Viewing Scheduled Meetings via Canvas
- Starting or Joining a Meeting
- Sharing Cloud Recordings with Students
Enabling Zoom LTI in a course
- Open the course in which you would like to enable the Zoom LTI
- From the Course Menu, click Settings, and then select the Navigation tab
- Click the three dots next to Zoom on the menu, and select +Enable
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save
Using Zoom as an Instructor
To begin using Zoom, click the link from your course menu. This will open Zoom within Canvas.
Importing an Existing Meeting
If the meeting is already scheduled then you can click the three dots to expand the menu in this area and select Import meeting. To import, all you need is the Meeting ID. This will associate the meeting with your course. Please note, a meeting can only be associated with one course at a time, so you cannot use the same Meeting ID with multiple courses if you wish to use the Zoom LTI.
Scheduling a New Meeting
You can schedule meetings directly through the Zoom LTI tool in Canvas as well, without having to login to https://wse.zoom.us.
To schedule a new meeting:
- Login to your course, and select Zoom from the course menu
- Click Schedule a New Meeting
- Select the desired settings for the meeting
- Click Save
Viewing Scheduled Meetings via Canvas
Any Instructor enrolled in this course can start the Zoom meeting as an alternative host, even if they didn't create the meeting. All instructors can schedule or import meetings, but only the person who created the meeting can delete it. Once a meeting is deleted from upcoming meetings, it will delete it from the view in Canvas and Zoom. If you choose disassociate meeting, that will only remove it from the Canvas class view, but it will remain in your meetings in Zoom.
Starting or Joining a Meeting
When it is time for the scheduled meeting, students and instructors can access the Zoom meeting similarly.
Note: While you as an Instructor can start a meeting from this tool using your Personal Meeting Room ID (PMI), students would need to be given a link to this meeting room somewhere else in the course in order to join - they cannot join your Personal Meeting Room via the Zoom LTI, and they do not have a tab for it in their view.
To Start or Join a meeting:
- In the Canvas course, click the Zoom link from the course menu
- Next to the scheduled meeting, the instructor can click Start to launch Zoom and begin the meeting
- Next to the scheduled meeting, the students and co-faculty can click Join to launch Zoom and join the meeting.
Sharing Cloud Recordings with Students
- In your Canvas course, click the Zoom link.
- Click the Cloud Recordings tab. A list of your cloud recordings is shown.
- Don't see your recording? It may still be processing. Once it finishes processing your recording will be listed here.
- Locate the recording you would like to share with your students and click it's Publish slider.
- Students will be able to view any published recordings immediately by the clicking the Cloud Recordings tab within the Zoom link.